Thursday, February 16, 2023

RESEARCHING FOR SOME INSPIRATION

 Now that we have narrowed it down to two topics (beauty standards or sports) I have decided that it is time to research short films about these topics to get an idea and some inspiration for what we could do. In today's blog, we will talk about short films about beauty standards. 

I came across this short film that I really enjoyed because I think it describes the topic extremely well and it is a good representation of the beauty standards girls and women in today's society have. 

"Not enough" a short film by Emily Liu

 The thing about beauty standards is that it is an incredibly broad topic with many things to talk about. The creator of this short film focused on the eating disorder part of this whole phenomenon and I thought she did it very well. What I really liked at the beginning is that she puts a picture of a model which is the goal of what she wants to look like up on the wall, this is important because it lets the audience know that the goal of the girl is to look like that which is why she slowly starts developing an eating disorder and she shows the process extremely well. At first, she shows how every time the character ate she would see derogatory words that would make her not want to eat yet she still did. Then she does something about which is when she starts counting the calories she intakes and exercising more which later the whole process becomes obsessive and it ends in an eating disorder. 

I feel like watching this short film gave me a sense of direction on what I could do with this project and this topic. I think it can really send a message to those girls that struggle with this to keep up with everything that they see on the internet. I saw many things that we could incorporate in our short film such as my favorite shot when she is eating her food and all we see is her eating her words but then right after we see the food like nothing happened. I thought this was a really nice touch added because in a way she is saying that she is eating her words but at the same time everything is just in her head because, at the end of the day, it's just food. 

Beauty standards are nothing new. But how have they changed as a result of social media? Annie Harmeston's fashion film

This short film was not really a short film but I really liked the aesthetic part of the video. Here are some screenshots I took of the parts I liked. 






You know I really liked the whole vibe that this part of the video had because they combined old-school women or how women were dressed in the past with modern technology of beauty which I really enjoyed because I interpreted as beauty standards have been around for a long time and they are still very relevant today. In a way, it is like they combined the past with the present regarding beauty standards which I really liked, and would love to include some aesthetics like this in our project. 

This is all I could find for beauty standards that I liked to use as inspiration for our project. Tomorrow in class we will discuss more about the topics and hopefully decide what we are finally going to do!! you will find out all about it in my next blog. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

WELL THIS IS IT!! PROJECT COMPONENTS

 Well thank you for accompanying me in this long process, I loved sharing my progress with you and hope to see you soon! I hope you like our...